While I haven't played a board game since moving out to CA( :/ ), I couldn't resist picking this up when I saw it as http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ 's deal of the day.  The title didn't jump out at me, but after a little research it looked like something that would be right up my alley.

The game reminds me of a mixture between Axis and Allies and Twilight Struggle.  You break down into two asymetrical sides, with players controlling a different amount of countries based on the number of players in the game.  Each country is represented by its board position but also has a unique deck of cards, which is what really sold me on the game.

Gameplay itself looks fairly simple.  The game is played over 20 rounds, and on each turn you play a card, check for supply, update victory points and then discard/draw.  Some cards give immediate effects like attacking or building more armies, some cards give a permanent bonus and some are kept hidden until they can trigger.  A wrinkle here is that while you can discard as much as you like and draw back up to full at the end of your turn, once your deck runs out it's gone.

The components are solid with a nice looking board and wooden representations of armies and navies.  There is also supposedly a expansion on the way.  Hopefully its something I will get to try out soon, but until then it can sit next to the latest EH expansion, the Terra Mystica expansion and a pile of micro games.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doomtown Gencon Prep

Nightmare at Noon Review

Safe... for now