Starviper!

Even though I'm not actively playing X-Wing I couldn't resist picking up one of these.  It reminds me of a Star Fury and is exactly the sort of ship I am drawn to in X-Wing despite myself(see my 3 TIE-Defenders).  What do I think of the Star Viper?

Compared to the X-Wing golden standard, it gains a defense die and trades a shield for an armor.  The viper also gains the barrel roll and boost abilities.  Where it really shines is the movement dial.  Having a full row for one and two is really hot and the curved K-turns have potential too.  Sadly, this all comes in for 4 extra points...which gives me real doubts about its general use.  IMO they compare favorably to the E-Wing or Defender but generic versions of those don't see much play either.

Guri and Prince Xizor are the two named pilots.  Guri seems solid, any ability to gain a free action is one I am happy with.  If he ends at range one he can have both a focus and a target lock, or he can make better use of his boost or barrel roll.  I'm less sold on Prince Xizor.  It's not preventing damage and I'm not sure Xizor's ship is worth transferring damage to neighboring ships.

As for the upgrades:

Bodyguard - Eh.  Spending a focus for a treasonous green die?  I can get Biggs up to 4 defense dice but I think he still wont survive concentrated fire.

Calculation - I kinda like this card, even though it has a narrow window of use.  If you only roll a single focus and are hitting an enemy in the hull or have an ability that triggers of crits you can get some use of it.  That being said its only a single point, so its not too bad to splash on.

Accuracy Corrector - What I like here is the ability to guarantee two hits while saving your actions for defense.  You get to take your attack roll first too, so its completely up to you how that focus is spent.  This also trumps the random defense builds that modify hits away.

Ion Torpedoes - Nothing new.

Inertial Dampeners - The timing here is interesting.  You gain the stress after the maneuver so you can still perform this if stressed.  If you can perform your action before your maneuver you can still gain that too(and the Viper loves Advanced Sensors).  Sadly, its discarded but its also only a point.

Autothrusters - Its nice to see some anti-turret tech in X-Wing.  It's also a mod so the Phantom can't touch it.  I'm curious to see where this gets picked up but I worry its going to make an appearance on Falcons.  This and C3P0 means in a mirror match you get two misses base every turn.  I'm not sure another turret ship could hope to win that.

Hull Upgrade - Nothing new.

Virago - The unique title upgrade for the Starviper.  I haven't seen the rest of the scum upgrades but a single point to gain access to Advanced Sensors is well worth it.

With all this being said, it looks like the Starviper is a one-of purchase.  I don't see any list with multiple of them working out but I'm sure Guri can be tricked out to be worth it at least.  Once MM puts these on sale I will likely pick up one-two more but again, I can't help myself(and its nice having spending money for a change).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doomtown Gencon Prep

Nightmare at Noon Review

Safe... for now