Swap Meet!


So the swap meet at Game Kastle was this last Saturday.  Compared to the ones I've been to in DFW this one was srs bsns.  The line you can see above is the people waiting outside for the swap meet to start.

Compared to Dallas area swap meets you have to buy a spot at $15.  This gives you a table to display your fine wares.  As you are buying in you are also free to take cash, though you can always choose to take store credit too.

It was intense but only lasted about an hour.  Makes me think about the wisdom of the hour long swap meet at BGG con.  Much like BGG con buying a table lets you get first dibs too.  

I walked away with over $500 in my wallet, even after dropping $15 on Settlers of Catan Rome and $10 on a Skorne dice tin and dice.  Sadly I didn't see a copy of Manila or A Study in Emerald.

I didn't have too many surprises on what sold and what didn't.  The weirdest bit is that no Flames of War sold, but I had a ton of people tell me to keep it.  There are supposed to be 4 big quarterly tournaments in the area and plenty of people who play it...if you know them.  

The Robotech kickstarter only had a single mild nibble.  I talked to several people however who were disappointed at the complexity of the miniatures.  No real interest in Malifaux or Mercs either.

The big takeaway I've been noticing is that on average the bay area seems to be worse about painters then DFW.  Not that there aren't incredible painters here but on average the quality of work seems far far lower.  No clue as to why that is, but it was nice to have several people be surprised at the quality of my painted minis.

Overall a great success and one way or the other I'm looking forward to the next one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doomtown Gencon Prep

Nightmare at Noon Review

Safe... for now