Safe... for now

While I am ditching games, there are some games I am going to keep around despite the lack of play on their part.  At the very least there should be more swap meets later down the road...

What I don't have is a good group that moves between games.  Really missing the MNI in that regards, as during the golden period it had a great schedule between mini gaming and board gaming.  Knowing I have a group like that would help ease some of the issues here, but CA gamers seem to be more single game focused.

I haven't played a board game since moving to CA.  Thankfully I honestly miss playing board games and have been invited to play with a more established board game group(if only I could stop being busy randomly Monday evenings).  These were also dramatically thinned down so I can't think of a board game I own now that I wouldn't want to play.  Hopefully I will get a game in soon...
Turret-Wing is another game I haven't played since moving here.  I tried scooping out the local Dice-Wing community but they were weird.  Far less normal then the Madness Attack-Wing crowd.  They also enjoyed multiplayer games.  The end result is I haven't played a single game of X-Wing since moving here.  

X-Wing still has some very strong things going for it which is helping keep it around. Along with Warmachine it is a modern lingua franca miniature game that doesn't take up much space(not taking up much space is a savings grace for a lot of the games listed here).  I've also started to miss playing it, especially with the Decimator out and the Imperial Raider and Scum coming out.
Infinity is a science fiction game with mechs.  Unsurprisingly this goes far in my book.  The new edition looks solid and the sculpt quality here is still incredibly high(the best in the industry IMO).  Infinity also has a local playgroup who were friendly when I met them, so the odds are good I can get in a game if I want.
Was I just saying something about mechs?  Heavy Gear does this even better then Infinity and the new rules of the game are the best yet.  Sadly, I don't think there is any community for this game around here, but its a game that speaks to me too much.  I should likely drop Lightning Strike(now that I even remember I have it) but HG is around for the long haul.
Spaceships aren't as awesome as mechs...but they are up there.  Firestorm is also a game that I own two fully painted fleets for and the new edition looks to hit that sweet spot between approachability/time investment and game play.  Spaceships combat rules tend to be generic and the Spartan sculpts are fairly nice too.
In a similar vein to X-Wing, Account Siphonner: The Fast Advancing is a game I have mixed feelings about.  Its also currently getting edged out for Doomtown and Shadowfist but its also a game I still read about online, collect new data packs for and talk about.  Sadly I haven't really played in the modern data cycle or with Order and Chaos as they both look far more interesting then the previous data cycle(notwithstanding stupid NBN identities).
SAGA is a solid game that nicely hits the approachability vs. game play sweet spot.  There are local players who enjoy the game that I've seen at multiple game stores too.

Thinking about it, Deadzone may honestly get packed up to go along to the swap meet.  Its a game that just never seems to get it together.  I like the terrain, I enjoy the non-GW aped factions and its sci-fi skirmish.  Still, I don't remember playing more than 2 games in Dallas and I hear similar stories from people in NorCal.  I kinda want to see what Mantic does with it.  I also wish it didn't use True Line of Sight or had a card deck mechanic. 
Bushido is a small scale "Magical Samurai"  miniatures game.  What I really appreciate is how each faction approaches the resource mechanic at the core of the game in a different way(compared to just having Focus vs. Fury).  It gives me a vibe that reminds me of the better parts of Confrontation too: nice sculpts, faction specific card pacts and deciding upon your attack/defense pools.  Not sure anyone locally plays this game, but eh.


Bloodbowl and Dreadball fall in here.  Bloodbowl is likely never going to be reprinted and is such a classic that has withstood the test of time.  Also I own most of a Chaos Dwarf team here.  What I really need to do is pick up the rest of the BB dice I need.  I've been kinda surprised that I haven't seen people talk about or play this locally.
I was really thinking of ditching my other two unassembled 15mm historical armies too.  Then I found the local FoG group and saw that they were switching over to the above game.  Turns out FoG is no longer going to be updating or releasing new books, which is a death sentence.  It sounds like people are switching over to L'Art De La Guerre.  It mixes FoG and DBMM, requires less space/minis then FoG and is complete with only a single book.  Its also been through three editions, with this modern one being the first one in English.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doomtown Gencon Prep

Nightmare at Noon Review