Another Entry and a Gaming Update


While the Rhino is done, Joe asked if Xerxes himself could count as a model for the Paintine and I've agreed.  That brings our total entries into this contest to 4.  Others are still more then welcome to enter until the end of the month.

Gaming wise, the locals have decided to take a break from Shadowfist with some board games.  It's been great to play Manila again and a bit funny that even with the worse version I have people love the production value.  It's also been interesting to see how people react to it, "It's just a dice rolling game there is nothing else there" has been the weirdest bit of criticism.

I also had the opportunity to try out Quartermaster General.  I need to play it a few more times before coming to a conclusion.  It has potential in how each faction subtly plays a different game - the Japanese player complaining about Americans being able to outproduce him massively by endgame was interesting.  It may have a few issues too, the game felt very stop starty and each individual action felt too tiny.

I've also been trying to play some Infinity, with some fairly annoying setbacks.  Everything I've seen from the new edition is a nice improvement over the old and the models are still incredible.  The game really really needs unit cards.  The online army builders are nice but having to reference special rules all too often leads down a annoying chain(I'm a hacker, so I need to see based on my equipment what hacking abilities I have access too and then what each ability does and if it grants a ability what that does too.)

The more serious issue is the community here seems to be dying or dead.  The last three weeks I've been unable to get a game in, where from what I've seen online and talked to people about 1-2 years ago the game had 16-20 people every Sunday playing.  N3 certainly moved at a good rate but it hasn't brought people back to the game locally and thats a shame.

Edit:  And another entry from Lucas:

Lucas has also graciously agreed to enter the Paintine with a $40 bounty.  Anyone else stepping up?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doomtown Gencon Prep

Nightmare at Noon Review

Safe... for now